Textile design work by Emma Warren Contact me emmawarrendesign@hotmail.co.uk http://emmawarrendesign.carbonmade.com/

Tuesday 14 September 2010

work experience with Samantha peach !!

I applied for work experience with Samantha because looking at her designs reminded me of my own university work, I love working with different medias together to create one off and intricate pieces with very heavy embellishment.

So I sent off my design CV and some images of my recent work, a week or so later I was so excited to hear that I had been offered a work placement!I was interested in finding out how a small business is run, as i feel this is something i would love to do in the future. Upon arrival I was greeted by the small team Samantha, Martin, Emily and Beth I was given a tour of their new studio it was like Heaven!! A room full of beautiful ribbons, feathers, beads and lace. I was taught all aspects of the company starting with the postage, printing and packaging the orders to be sent out then I got chance to create my own mask designs!


At first i was pretty overwhelmed by the amount of pretty embellishments so i gathered together the things i felt most drawn to, i have also been interested in deconstructing lace to create something that is almost unrecognisable to its original form so i gathered together some beautiful lace motifs, i also love to add intricate detailing with heavy beading to create different eye catching surfaces.Then i was shown how to photograph and upload them to the shop site.


My first design was


I loved creating this mask, first i choose the base which was a beautiful venetian style in white, i used lots of little pretty lace to cover the base to create a pattern all over, next i worked with the detail, i used and deconstructed a beaded pattern, adding a lot of the beads singular by hand which was very time consuming but i think well worth it as the beads really do add a luxury eye catching look.Next i wanted to create a striking element so i added some beautiful blue spotty feathers alongside some longer white feathers.



second mask was
The White Lace Masquerade Mask click title for link to samanthas shop!
Throughout my time at Samantha peach i learnt that the colours that are most popular were black, white and silver. So i chose a beautiful white masquerade mask on black stick, i wanted to keep my lace theme, so i rummaged through all the lace and came across a beautiful flower motif which i deconstructed to how i wanted it to look, i added black cabouchons to add an interesting edge, i placed this by the eye so that the beautiful design would draw attention to the wearers eyes, i added some more of the lace that i had embellished to the opposite side , finishing off with some beautiful black and white feathers!















Link to samanthas shopsite - http://www.samanthapeach.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment